Bob Beeman, a member of our Regatta Service and Oar Manufacturing team, how to bond a new blade on an oar shaft.
- Two-part injectable urethane glue from Concept2
- Pitch Check or other means to check pitch
- Paper towel or rag
- Mix glue and spread on shaft end
- Fit blade to shaft
- Set pitch
Please note: The glue used for bonding the blade sets very fast. You should review and rehearse the following instructions before mixing the glue. You may find it helpful to have two people working at this point: one to bond the blade and one to reset the pitch.
- Check the fit of the blade(s) on the shaft(s). Blade should slide on smoothly and snug up.
- Have everything ready for setting the pitch. Refer to separate pitching section VII and VIII at the end of the oar repair booklet (link below) for detailed pitching instructions.
- Mix the glue according to the instructions provided.
- Apply the glue to the cone of the oar shaft.
- Fit the blade loosely onto the shaft until the pitch is reset.
- Twist blade on shaft 360 degrees to evenly coat the glue on the inside of the blade.
- Set pitch following separate pitching directions.
- NOW fit the blade firmly onto the shaft.
- Wipe off the excess glue.
- Check pitch. The pitch can be adjusted by rotating the blade on the oar while the glue is still wet.